MTPR began as a student training facility in 1965. Since then we have become a media network serving western and central Montana and beyond.
MTPR is an NPR affiliate with a robust Montana news team including bureaus in Missoula, the Flathead and Helena.
Our eclectic music and entertainment programs include classical, jazz, literature, science, and the longest running children's radio programs in the country. We also carry national favorites such as This American Life and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!
MTPR produces about 50% of our program content.
We broadcast to a population of about 500,000 Montanans, with an estimated weekly audience of 65,000-70,000 listeners. We have about 7,600 members who support the station financially, providing about 62% of our annual operating funds.
Montana Public Radio enriches the mind and spirit, inspires a lifetime of learning, and connects communities through access to exceptional programming
Montana Public Radio will be the essential and trusted source for information and cultural programs.
- representing the unique character of Montana
- expanding the community of informed, engaged citizens
- adding depth to the civil discourse
- presenting many voices and diverse views
- connecting people to each other and the world
- including people of all ages
- sparking curiosity and discovery
- crafting authentic moments of beauty, originality, and fun
- celebrating the arts, artists and cultural traditions of the world
Montana Public Radio has at its foundation the core values of independence, excellence integrity and innovation.
- We insist on meeting the highest standards of journalism with trustworthy, balanced and inclusive content
- We balance a major commitment to locally produced programs with acquisition of national and international content -
- We require excellence in the quality of our craft
- We commit to providing reliable access to our service
- We strive for innovation in our content and in improving our service
- We welcome both critique and praise and respond with openness and candor - assuring a constructive approach in all our interactions
- We are prudent and accountable with the resources entrusted to us
- We promise that our fundraising activities will be positive and principled