Your Montana Public Radio
Tue September 24, 2013
Alleged Gunmen Charged In Chicago Mass Shooting
Originally published on Tue September 24, 2013 1:51 pm
Authorities have charged two more suspects in connection with last week's shooting in Chicago that wounded 13 people. Police believe that one of them, 22-year-old Tabari Young, was the one who severely wounded a toddler.
That brings to four the number of people charged in connection with the mass shooting Thursday at Cornell Square Park on the city's South Side. Police say it was gang-related.
"Tabari Young and Brad Jett, both 22, are charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm, authorities said. Both were arrested in an abandoned building three blocks from the shooting on Sunday night.
"Young 'was identified as the person who shot 3-year-old Deonta Howard and 12 other victims,' according to the arrest report. Jett 'was identified as [one] of the individuals who participated in the shooting,' the report said.' "
As we reported Monday, 3-year-old Deonta Howard is said to be recovering after surgery from a gunshot wound to the head.
The Tribune also notes that:
"On Monday, Bryon Champ, 21, and Kewane Gatewood, 20, both of Chicago, were also charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm. Chicago police said the two 'played significant roles' in the shooting."